Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Complex .Net Object - iPhone Development Options · View
rdunn5162
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:37:23 AM
Groups: Member

I'm attempting to take a large existing .Net WebSite and expose a section of its functionality to WebServices to be used with an iPhone Application. Specifically a set of Objects existing in a library file. I'm running into a problem when I try to solve this process manually since I'm attempting to take .Net Objects with complex relationships and serialize them to be used with a WebService. We end up having to address every single complex relationship uniquely, solving errors related to complex relationships and trying to convert them to a serialize web service.

I'm hoping that WebOrb could completely save me here. Since from what I understand, it exposes .Net Objects and their relationships. So my question is, does it work in the fashion I need it to and also is it compatible on some level with iPhone development.

Any help on this would be great appreciated.
rdunn5162
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:59:08 AM
Groups: Member

Dang, anybody???
Mark Piller
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:52:30 AM

Groups: Administration

Hello,

Yes, you're correct - WebORB can expose the deployed classes as remoting services. I can think of two ways for handling the iPhone client - .NET server integration:

1. Using JSON. WebORB has a built-in support for JSON clients. The doc is available at:
http://www.themidnightcoders.com/fileadmin/docs/dotnet/v4/guide/json_overview.htm

2. Using AMF. There is an open source library which implements the binary protocol supported by WebORB:
https://github.com/nesium/cocoa-amf
We have not tested that library, but I have seen posts from others confirming that it works. We're also working on our own library for Objective-C, but it is not quite ready yet.

Regards,
Mark

Mark Piller
Midnight Coders, Inc.
twitter: midnightcoder
blog: blog.themidnightcoders.com